Friday 23 August 2013

Old Town Hall, Waingate.

Sheffield, Old Town Hall, Waingate
Photo © Copyright Stanley Walker and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
To my ever-lasting shame, all through my childhood I knew this building only as, "That place with the drinking fountain on the side." Sadly, even then, one was warned not to use that fountain, as it wasn't hygienic.

When I was a kid, it was used as a courthouse but it was originally built in 1807-08 as Sheffield's town hall, before being superseded in the 1890s by its much larger replacement on Surrey Street.

As far as I'm aware, it's currently abandoned and growing increasingly derelict, which seems a scandal for such an historic building. One can only hope that a good use can be found for it at some point.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...